Pregnancy can be a magical time, full of those amazing flutters in your stomach coming from your baby, when you imagine spending time with him or her, visualize your baby’s face and are so so excited all the time! Or…it can be a time of round-the-clock (not just morning) sickness, bloating, heartburn, fainting, not to mention that oh-so-embarrassing burping and farting in public!
Whatever it is, whether you work or not, you will spend several months on maternity leave, which might then turn into…well, eternity. So once you do feel well and your baby is still in your belly or sound asleep in the crib, you might start to feel a little…surprise – bored! Especially if you were accustomed to long hours and a lot of mental stimulation! What can you do?
Thank God and all those geeks from the Silicon Valley for Internet! In this magnificent parallel world you can:
- Waste a lot of time on social networks, gossip magazines, playing games, watching movies, etc.
- Do something that makes your heart sing and that you feel proud of when you look at it.
Let’s focus on the latter.
- Are you a writer? There is a book in every person, so you must be. You could finally publish your diary, or those short novels you’ve been writing in your free time, or your granddad’s poetry. You could write a manual about what you had learnt on the job (if it’s not against the company’s policy!). It’s never been easier. There are several ways to do it but the one I’ve found the most straightforward is via createspace.com.
- Are you a blogger? Everybody is now, so just go to wordpress.com (or any other platform) and knock yourself out! Blog about what you feel passionate about, blog for fun, blog to make friends, blog to be mentally stimulated. Just start. And work on the layout and all the beauty features later. Keep learning. Check out problogger.net for useful tips on blogging.
- Are you a teacher? If you are proficient at something like a foreign language, or maths, chemistry, economics, any subject actually, you can coach students in your free time. While it might not be a path to a multimillion dollar fortune, it certainly is a fun way to spend your time, interact, get mentally stimulated and the experience might become material for that manual we were talking about! You can use the internet by placing an add in your local online newspaper or just publish a post on facebook that you’re available! You can also find oversea’s students and teach them via skype!
- Are you an artist? Make stuff and sell it on etsy.com. It looks like a lot of fun and I’m sure it’s extremely fulfilling to be able to sell the things you make with your own hands!
- Are you a fashionista? You could be a personal shopper! Use the internet to post an add, maybe take a few customers out for free and let the word spread! Just make sure you don’t exhaust yourself, but if you know the right stores – you should be just fine!
- Are you a consultant? This is more challenging than the previous ones, but you could set up your own consulting company. This is especially tempting for former corporate mommies – just make sure you manage your time well!
All the above are things you can do when YOU have time. Whichever you choose, make sure you are enjoying it. There is nothing worse for your baby than a frustrated mother. Learn, specialize and enjoy it! Use your time wisely but also take your time. Rome wasn’t built in a day. Do something you will be proud of and something that makes your heart sing.
You might also like: