I watched Orgasmic Birth last night, for the second time during my pregnancy. While I enjoyed it the first time I saw it, watching it yesterday did not result in what I was expecting. Instead of feeling empowered and ready for birth (which is imminent, as I am due in 9 days), I got a bit panicky and had to turn the movie off half way. Why?
Maybe I was particularly tired and vulnerable last night but the movie shows you birthing moms in a lot of pain. You see the grimaces on the faces and you see the long labors. The movie does inform you about the benefits of a home birth and explains how birth giving is part of the love-making continuum but it also scared me.
BETTER THAN “ORGASMIC BIRTH”
Instead of watching this one I would actually recommend reading some books, which give you more information and are less “visual”.
1. Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth with empowering messages such as: ”the mind-body connection during childbirth is extremely important. Your husband’s or partner’s words “you are marvelous” can help open your cervix” and more.
2. Orgasmic Birth: Your Guide to a Safe, Satisfying, and Pleasurable Birth Experience - the book. I was delighted to read stories of women who had beautiful natural births.
3. Pre-Parenting: Nurturing Your Child from Conception explains different types of labor and their effects on the child’s life.
4. The Mind of Your Newborn Baby explains for example that “the words said at one’s birth seem to be unusually potent” and the author lists various birth experiences of how words uplifted or damaged newborns.
5. HypnoBirthing: The Mongan Method: A natural approach to a safe, easier, more comfortable birthing (3rd Edition) tells you that “when your mind is free of fear and tension, your body can be free of pain and will function as it was created to do” and much more.
6. Pregnancy Day By Day gives you an overview of the whole labor and delivery experience and it is my absolute favorite pregnancy book which guided me through every day of this magical period.
DO YOU HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH ORGASMIC BIRTH? PLEASE SHARE IN THE COMMENTS SECTION BELOW
You might also like: